Offseason Power Rankings – Nov. 27
I will be doing power rankings weekly (usually Wednesday) for the whole MLB using projection systems! Here is my previous ranking article with an explanation of the process. It’s been a week, so lets see what happened!
- Padres signed Josh Johnson
- Royals signed Jason Vargas
- Phillies signed Carlos Ruiz
- Indians signed David Murphy
- Dodgers signed Dan Haren
- Reds signed Chris Young
- Cardinals signed Jhonny Peralta
- Rockies signed LaTroy Hawkins
- Twins signed Ricky Nolasco
- Yankees signed Brian McCann
- Tigers traded Prince Fielder to the Rangers for Ian Kinsler
- Cardinals traded David Freese and Fernando Salas to the Angels for Peter Bourjos and Randal Grichuk
These are the transactions that occurred in the past week. They will all affect the projections. Different players’ playing time and WAR projections will change based on the transactions that occurred. There is also a constant update of projections for each player. (Must be the reason for our new number 1 team).
Here are this week’s Power Rankings:
Good news for Blue Jays fans! The Jays WAR went up 0.5 and they moved up a spot!
How did some of these transactions affect team wins?
- Padres signed Josh Johnson +0 wins
- Royals signed Jason Vargas +1 win
- Phillies signed Carlos Ruiz -1 win
- Indians signed David Murphy +2 wins
- Dodgers signed Dan Haren +0 wins
- Reds signed Chris Young +0 wins
- Cardinals signed Jhonny Peralta and acquired Bourjos +2 wins
- Rockies signed LaTroy Hawkins -1 win
- Twins signed Ricky Nolasco +0 wins
- Yankees signed Brian McCann +2 wins
- Tigers acquire Kinsler +1 win
- Rangers acquire Fielder -1 win
- Angels acquire Freese +0 wins
Now obviously these gains and losses in wins are not all due to the signings and trades, as some individual projections are updated and adjusted and can be the reason for some of the changes. Take the Red Sox for example; some players got bumps in projections and playing time (Xander Bogaerts, for example) that lead to the change in WAR.
Biggest winners this week based on rank changes:
And biggest losers:
Here are the divisions with these projections, with playoff teams bolded:
Red Sox 93-69
Blue Jays 87-75
White Sox 73-89
Three way tie for the 2nd wild card with the A’s, Royals, and Jays!
Nationals 81-81 Tie breaker for first in the East!
Theoretical World Series: Red Sox vs. Cardinals with the Red Sox winning it all. Look familiar?